Sunday, January 27, 2013

My papers

I will be in discussions shortly about donating my papers to the University of Georgia's Rare Books and Manuscripts Library where they will be open to the public.

I have a great deal of affection for the libraries, especially the Main Library on North Campus, which I began haunting on an almost daily basis when I was a freshman at UGA in 1968. In those days, the large addition in the back hadn't yet been built, but even so, it was an amazing place. 

Over the years I became friends with Porter Kellam, who was named director of the Library in 1950 and was still there in 1968. He retired, I believe, in 1970, but he was around and active for many years after that. He was a marvelous and warm man, and he was generous and thoughtful to my wife Linda, who worked in the Main Library's Copy Room when we were both in graduate school in the early 1970s. I have been delighted to be friends also with successive administrative people in the Libraries as well.
UGA Main Library

Here is what they say online about Hargrett:

"The Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, a leading repository on Georgia history and culture, holds 200,000 volumes in its rare book and Georgiana collections, 6 million pages of historical manuscripts and photographs, along with maps, broadsides, and UGA archives and records. Of particular note is one of the largest collections of Confederate imprints, as well as material of a specialized nature, such as broadsides, historical maps, and sheet music. In addition, the holdings include programs, posters, drawings, photographs, engravings, and other ephemera relating to early American and British theater and the motion picture industry. Other areas of emphasis include performing arts and natural history. Holdings date from the 15th century to the present."

Anyway, as this unfolds, I'll be sure to add more information about my papers. 


No comments:

Post a Comment